Friday, December 28, 2012

Stuffed Acorn Squash/The Hobbit Part 1

It's the first new movie review!

I don't have much to say here. Being home has been awesome, but I have eaten TERRIBLY. Expect some healthy stuff coming up these next few weeks. I hope everyone's had a great holiday!

Recipe: Stuffed Acorn Squash


Ingredients:

2 Acorn Squashes
1 cup brown rice
bouillon
2 large carrots
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
couple sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
handful of lettuce
1/4 cup apple cider
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 375. Cut each of the squashes in half and scoop out the seeds. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Start the rice. Cook the brown rice according to the package, and add in a cube of bouillon. 

Dice the onion and carrot. Saute in a pan for about 5 minutes. While that's cooking, dice the garlic and almonds. Tear the leaves off the rosemary. Add to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. 

Slice the lettuce in the strip. Add it with the almonds and apple cider, and wilt the lettuce down. Stir in the rice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.

Spoon the mixture into the roasted acorn squash. Throw it back in the oven and bake for about another 
10 minutes (again, at 350). Serve hot.

Step-by-Step Instructions


Slice the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spray with cooking spray. Roast for about 30 minutes at 375.

Dice onion and carrot. Saute for about 5 minutes.

Dice almonds, garlic, and tear leaves off rosemary.


Add to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
Slice lettuce into strips.

Add lettuce, raisins, and apple cider to pan.

Wilt lettuce down, and then add rice. Stir it all together.

Stuff it in the acorn squash.

Roast again for another 10 minutes. Serve hot.


Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


I got a chance to go back to my old stomping grounds to see a a movie with the siblings. Of course, I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I have been looking forward to seeing The Hobbit for quite some time.

I'm not going to go in depth with the story line because it's such a well-known tale. I initially was very skeptical when I heard that Peter Jackson was going to split the book up into three movies. After seeing the first, I still think that he could have done it in one, but it does work being spread out like this. The movie made the story look a lot darker than I remember (which I like), so I think another read of the book now that I'm a bit older is in order.

I didn't see the movie in 3-D because I don't like 3-D movies. I'm not going to get up on a pedestal and tell you why they're ruining movies because I don't want to be that guy. Plus, some movies are better in 3-D. Anyways, whether you see it in 3-D or not, if you were a fan of Lord of the Rings and are looking for a good holiday family film, go see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment