Friday, December 14, 2012

Homemade Hot Dog Buns with Beet Sauerkraut/Far Away, So Close!

So if you're looking for traditional fluffy hot dog buns, you should probably follow the original recipe posted here. I decided to go my own route and make them whole wheat. I also substituted yogurt for butter. I probably did something wrong because they just didn't rise. They kind of had a hard pretzel-like quality to them. I thought they held up to the beet sauerkraut quite nicely, but they did not turn out like they should have. Oh well, one of these days I'll learn how to bake. 

Also, another beet recipe. One of these days I'm going to run out of ideas. I actually just got a HUGE bag of them in the farm exchange, and I'm really struggling to come up with some good recipes. Suggestions welcome. 

Lastly, I used turkey dogs because they were an impulse buy and have been sitting in my freezer for weeks. They were actually really delicious, although I can't really remember the last time I had a real hot dog. You can use whatever you want, but I would recommend a more plain frank to let the flavor of the sauerkraut shine through.

Recipe: Turkey Dogs with Homemade Hot Dog Buns and Beet Sauerkraut.


Ingredients:

1 package hot dogs
1 can sauerkraut
2 large beet
1 package yeast
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup + 2 tsp
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp greek yogurt
3 cups whole wheat flour

Add 1/2 cup very hot water to yeast and 2 tsp sugar. Let sit for about 15 minutes until frothy.

While this is sitting, heat 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and salt to a light boil. Remove from heat and whisk together. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Once the milk mixture is cool, combine with yeast in a mixer bowl and mix together. Slowly add the flour.

Spray another large bowl with cooking spray, add the dough, and allow to rise for an hour.

Cut the dough into 8 skinny pieces, each with a slit in the middle. Place on baking sheet and brush with 2 tbsp milk. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

To make the beet sauerkraut, wash, peel, and cut your beest into chunks and process in food processor. Combine with can of sauerkraut.

Cook your hot dog however you like, and assemble.


Let yeast and sugar get frothy with some hot water.

Boil milk, salt and sugar

Allow to cool (whoops I didn't do that) and then mix together with the yeast.

Mix it all together in a mixer by slowly adding the flour. Form into hot dog buns and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
While the buns are in the oven, wash, peel and cut your beets into large chunks.

Process in food processor.


Mix together with can of sauerkraut.


Pretzel buns! Still delicious, but really not at all like the original recipe. See intro for better looking buns.

Tasty enough to eat for dinner every night!And kind of pretty, too.

Review: Far Away, So Close!


You tell him, Peter Falk.


I wanted to review this one because it is a sequel to my all-time favorite movie, Wings of Desire. I have heard this one is pretty good as well, and it has all of the same characters/actors (plus Lou Reed), so I decided to give it a go.

The reason why I liked the first film so much is because it is more of a work of art than a story. There is a plot, but to me it's not as important as the message - the beauty of the human condition. The sequel has some of the same themes, but it tends to be a bit darker in some points and a bit silly in others. It feels like more of a typical film. It takes place post Berlin Wall (as opposed to Wings), and the theme is a bit more negative, dealing with how people are not as giving or receptive of love. We just take things in, and everything is visual - we no longer have the ability to feel.

The message is great and all, but I appreciated the positive message of the first film much more. Wings is such a gorgeous film and leaves you with a feeling of gratitude just for being alive and ordinary. Far Away is a quirky film with some moving scenes, but overall does not hold as strong. I wouldn't deter anybody from seeing it; I would just tell them to see Wings of Desire first. They do both have great soundtracks, so I will give them both that. The first scene, probably one of the best, is posted below. It's definitely worth a watch.






No comments:

Post a Comment