Sunday, January 20, 2013

Biscuit Dunes Root Vegetable Pot Pie/Dune

We cancelled the beets! I just couldn't find any other use for them. That gnocchi sat in my fridge and did not get eaten. I would maybe be able to deal with it if they came once a month, but weekly was just too much. We had a good run, but it's time to move on.

That being said, I made a pretty damned good one this week. I challenge even the most carnivorous carnivores to say no to a helping of this stuff. The original recipe is posted here, but I made some tweaks to make it a bit healthier and to fit my pantry. I chose the movie Dune because it's the last of David Lynch's films I had to see, and the pot pie has "dunes" of biscuits on top.

He who controls the biscuits controls the universe.

Plus Sting + David Lynch + Sci-Fi? I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Oh baby.



Recipe: Biscuit Dunes Root Vegetable Pot Pie


Ingredients:

Filling:
6 cups stock
2 large carrots
2 large parsnips
1 large bulb kohlrabi
1 large turnip
1 lb portabella shrooms
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion
1 celeriac
4 cloves garlic
few sprigs fresh rosemary
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup 2 percent milk
2 tbsp wine (I used a Shiraz)
handful of fresh parsley

Biscuits:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
few sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, cold and diced
3 tbsp plain greek yogurt
1 cup buttermilk

Start with the filling. Get the 6 cups of stock boiling in a large soup pot. I used chicken, but vegetable is just fine as well.

While your stock is boiling, wash and chop the carrots, parsnips, kohlrabi, turnip, and mushrooms. I peeled the kohlrabi, but left the skins on everything else - I'll leave that one up to you. Add these veggies to the boiling stock. Boil for about 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain the veggies, but keep the stock reserved.

While the veggies are boiling, dice the onion and celeriac in the butter. Cook them in the same pot as the other vegetables until starting to brown. While these are cooking, dice the garlic and rosemary. Add them to the pot and cook for about 2 more minutes while stirring. Add the flour and stir for one minute. Slowly incorporate the reserved stock, milk, and wine. Add the parsley.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Pour the mixture into a sprayed, deep 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake for about 50 minutes.

While your filling is baking, prepare the biscuits. Mix the flours, baking powder, rosemary, and salt in a large bowl. Using a mixer (a spoon is fine too), add the butter and yogurt and incorporate until the mixture is mealy. Slowly add the buttermilk until the mixture is evenly moistened (you can add more if you need it). Chill until the filling is done.

When the filling is done, spoon the biscuits on top of the hot mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 40 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the biscuits come out clean. Enjoy!

Step-by-Step Instructions:


Thoroughly wash each of your vegetables

Boil 6 cups of stock. I used chicken but you can do what you want.

Chop the carrots, parsnips, and turnip. Peel and chop the kohlrabi. Add these to the boiling stock.

Peel the celeriac. I chopped off the weird looking end and peeled the rest with a vegetable peeler.

Chop the celeriac and onions.


After about 7-10 minutes, drain the boiling veggies and save the stock.

Melt 3 tbsp butter in the same pan.


Cook the onion and celeriac until brown.
While those are cooking, chop the garlic and rosemary. Add to the pot.


Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.

Add the liquids and bring to a boil.

Chop the parsley.

Stir in the parsley.

Add the mixture to a sprayed 9x13 pan.

Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

While the filling is in the oven, start the biscuits. Mix the flours, rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Mix in the butter and yogurt until pebble-y. Slowly add the buttermilk until evenly moistened. Chill the dough until the filling is ready.
Spoon the biscuit mixture on top of the hot filling.

Bake at 400 degrees until the biscuits pass the fork test. Serve hot!

Review: Dune (1984)

Uhh...I think I need to read the book first. I'll get back to you on this one. I almost made it through the whole film.

3 comments:

  1. We told you that movie was horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't horrible - I just didn't get it! I need to read that book.

      Delete
    2. MOM IS THAT YOU? dune is not horrible! how are we all related?!?!

      Delete