Sunday, November 18, 2012

Beet Poppy Seed Muffins/Dr. Strangelove

EDIT: sorry about this one being late - I scheduled it to be posted yesterday morning, but I guess I'm pretty clueless about this blogging thing. Wednesday's will be up on time!

I just noticed that every other recipe on here involves beets. It's ok though because they're really good for you. Or so says these guys. Helps prevent colon cancer and heart disease? I guess I can get behind that. My CSA keeps sending me beets by the pound, and I'm kind of sick of them turning all of my food, well, beet red. Which is why I got super excited when I came across this recipe from The Hearty Herbivore.

I changed up the recipe a bit to accommodate my pantry, and I also added a lemon because, well, poppy seeds and lemon belong together. It might sound a little strange to add the beets to the sweet muffins, but the earthyness actually goes quite nicely with the sweetness. They are a very hearty muffin - I had mine for breakfast every day this past week and found myself enjoying them with a fork. They do still taste like beets, but I would suggest giving them a try anyways - they might just convert you. Plus they are BEAUTIFUL.

These guys also recommend the muffins.


Recipe: Beet Lemon Poppy Seed Strangemuffins



Ingredients:

4 beets
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp apple cider
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup applesauce
1 lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp poppy seeds

Peel your beets (I didn't do this, and I found it really hard to peel once roasted - so do it now). Roast at 400 degrees on a pan lined with foil until tender (this took about an hour for me). Chop into 1 inch pieces and puree in a food processor or blender. Turn the oven down to 375.

Combine the milk, apple cider, and vinegar in a cup and let sit for 3 minutes to curdle (homemade buttermilk!). Add to the food processor and puree until there are no chunks left.

In a large bowl, mix beet stuff, oil, applesauce, vanilla, juice of lemon, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.

Line a 12 muffin tin with cupcake wrappers and distribute the batter evenly (ice cream scoopers are GREAT for this). Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Nosh on these seriously delicious treats.

Step-by-Step Instructions

Place beets on baking dish lined with tinfoil. Roast for an hour at 400F. I would recommend peeling before doing this!

You might have to poke them with a fork a couple of times to gauge the tenderness of these bad boys.

Cut into 1 inch pieces and puree in food processor.

Combine milk, apple cider, and vinegar in separate small glass until milk is curdled. Process with beets.

Combine beet mixture, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, oil, and juice of lemon in a large bowl. 

Slowly add dry ingredients until just combined.

Don't forget about the poppy seeds. I almost did.

Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through.

These guys are beautiful!

Review: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

This is one of those movies that I know I should have seen some time ago. We all know Kubrick is sweet so I don't really have to talk about that. I knew the film was about the Cold War and nuclear warfare, but other than that I had no idea what to expect. When I saw the disclaimer at the beginning assuring the audience that the military has safeguards in place to prevent and such event from actually happening, I knew I was in for a treat.

The movie follows three related stories: a crazed general, who wants to end the cold part of the Cold War; the President of the United States and his team of experts, who are trying to deal with the crisis without having a nuclear war; and the pilot and crew of a B-52 bomber, who, through a series of mishaps have no idea that the air strike is to be called off. Peter Sellers is spot on in his performance as three different characters, including the hilarious Dr. Strangelove himself - an ex-Nazi nuclear warfare expert with an uncontrollable tick in his right hand. Actually, all of the characters in this film are pretty eccentric in their own ways.

Iconic.


You never really know what to expect with Kubrick - weather to be terrified (The Shining), shocked (A Clockwork Orange), uncomfortable (Eyes Wide Shut), blah blah blah. Despite the disturbing subject matter of the impeding doom and tensions between the Soviets and the US, this movie is pretty freaking hilarious. It's absurd in the typical Kubrick fashion, but there is a layer of humor added on that is really enjoyable to follow. As with most of his movies, it's fast-paced enough to make those 95 minutes fly by. Recommended for those who like war, dark humor, and Stanley Kubrick. Trailer posted below. Seriously, at least watch the trailer. I laughed a lot.




No comments:

Post a Comment